Creamery Lane|Parwich|Ashbourne|DE6 1QL
St Peter’s Church is located within the Diocese of Derby. The original church dates back to Norman times when it was a chapelry of St Oswald’s Ashbourne. The church became a parish in 1650. Little of the original building remains today due to its demolition in 1872. The present church, constructed in 1873 by Stevens & Robinson, retains the original Norman doorway and chancel arch including a fine Saxon tympanum over the west doorway. The tympanum depicts the lamb of God with a cross, a stag trampling on a serpent, a wolf and a pig. In 2000 two windows designed by David Pilkington were installed in the Lady Chapel to commemorate the new Millennium. Names of local children living in the parish at that time are etched into the glass. The present church was financed by T W Evans of Allestree Hall. It is listed Grade II*.
St Peter’s Church serves as the centre of worship for the local community following the closure of Parwich Methodist Chapel in May 2008. Services for member of the Methodist Church are held in the Lady Chapel.
The church building is open during the hours of day light. Historical information about the church and local community dating back to 1701 can be found in the church registers for births, deaths and marriages. These historical records are held at the Derbyshire Record Office in Matlock. See Church Records for details. Please note the church does not store historical records.
Further details of village life can be found on the excellent village blog, parwich.org.
St Peter’s Church|Creamery Lane|Parwich|Ashbourne|DE6 1QL
The green arrow marks the correct location.
View Larger Map