Ashes Lane|Fenny Bentley|Ashbourne|DE6 1LD
St Edmund’s Church is located in the Diocese of Derby and is a member of the Parwich Benefice. The church sits at the centre of the Fenny Bentley village two miles north of Ashbourne. Originally a chapelry of Ashbourne, it became a parish in the 13th century. The early church dates back to Norman times, later additions were made in the 13th and 14th centuries. Major renovations were undertaken between 1847 and 1850. The spire was added in 1864. The church is listed Grade II* and designed in the Decorated style.
The church features a painted side chapel ceiling manufactured from sheet aluminium, dating from around 1880. Within the side chapel a dramatic shrouded tomb to Thomas Beresford and his wife Agnes Hassall can be found. Thomas Beresford lived at Bentley Hall and raised a private army to fight at the battle of Agincourt. He died in 1473.
The church building is open during the hours of day light. Historical information about the church and local community dating back to 1701 can be found in the church registers for births, deaths and marriages. These historical records are held at the Derbyshire Record Office in Matlock. See Church Records for details. Please note the church does not store historical records.
St Edmund’s Church|Ashes Lane|Fenny Bentley|Ashbourne|DE6 1LD
The green arrow marks the correct location.
View Larger Map